Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Red, White & Blew?

The inspiration for my card came from this fabulous photo over at The Shabby Tea Room. Doesn't it remind you of a well worn and loved Iowa country farm kitchen? Where the bread is rising under a towel, cookies are  cooling on the counter and Grandma has flour on her cheek from wiping a wisp of hair out of her eyes. If I'm ever feeling down, I can always close my eyes and remember that very picture from my childhood.
The RED, WHITE and BLUE (unlike my title...leave a comment if you actually GET that, haha) were fun to work with and although the first thing that comes to mind when working with those colors is an American flag, I held back on the stripes and instead veered toward gingham. 

I chose this week Sweet Sunday Sketch to work from and started adding layers, color and detail till I was happy with my birthday card. I versa marked a small flower stamp onto my Bashful Blue to add just a hint of "something" to my background. The Scallop Trim Border added a bit of girly flair, not to mention all the red bling. I had fun coloring my little birthday girl, paper pieced her skirt and tried for the very first time, some sparkly fluff. Thought her hat and sweater could use a little cozying up, since the photo just screams COZY KITCHEN!! 
(the glue was still drying on the little sweater when I took this pic)

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Super sweet, Dawn! I {heart} the gingham patterns you've used!! Thanks for joining us in the Tea Room this week :)

Clare said...

great card, really sweet, thanks for joining us this week at the Shabby Tea Room! : )

Sandy Ang said...

Cool card !Love to see you at my Christmas Card Challenge
http://angsandy.blogspot.com/2010/11/lcom-christmas-card-crop-hop.html