Monday, September 5, 2011

Sail Away Birthday


My Dad's Birthday is coming up this week, so again another daunting man card (hehe)...I started off using this weeks Sweet Sunday Sketch #133

  
I pulled out some RETIRED Nautical Expedition DSP (that I hadn't opened yet) and cut out one of the boats. The image was so stunning by itself, I couldn't bear to muck it up with anything else, so instead, I stamped a random display of Happy Birthday greetings onto my Basic Gray background with Craft White Ink & Embossing Powder. A bit of the DSP (which is printed to look like a log book) is stamped with a bolder Happy Birthday phrase with Craft Black Ink & Embossing Powder as the main sentiment and focal point. Some Cherry Cobbler Bakers Twine, three RETIRED Aged Copper brads in the top left corner and now for some sentimental words inside to celebrate my hard working Father on his Birthday. Love you Dad!!

The Paper Players Challenge #62 is celebrating Birthday cards this week
 and over at 
their challenge is to use DP as the focal point on this weeks project


Stamp Sets used for the Happy Birthday background:
Plane & Simple
Happy Moments
So Happy For You
Messages for Mom
Vintage Labels
Well Scripted 

8 comments:

Lucy said...

You're so talented, Dawn! It looks great!

Karen Giron said...

What a fantastic masculine card - I love that you cut the image out of DSP! So fun!

Nance Leedy said...

Clever use of the DSP--I didn't know what to do with that piece but YOU did! Lovethe fun bg you created with all the different sentiments! Glad you joined us at The Paper Players this week!

Sandie Conner said...

Love your "Man" card, great use of colors and prints, great job! Thanks for having fun with The Paper Players this week!

Marjie Kemper said...

Wonderful masculine card... I love the way you've done the birthday sentiments on the grey panel. It reminds me of waves/water behind the boat image. Thanks so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner this week!

Julie Marshall said...

So many times we forget about cutting an image from our awesome DSP. It works out just perfectly on this card. Very masculine. Thanks so much for playing along with the Paper Players this week!

Tara Bilbao said...

what a great masculine card. I am sure your dad will treasure it. I love how the sentiment really pops again the other colors. Thanks for playing along with The Paper Players birthday challenge!

Sharon Wheet said...

I really like how you used different fonts to say happy birthday! very clever take on our challenge over @ OCC. Great color combo, and very stunning.
thank you for playing along with us @ OCC